Taking the DMV permit test in Texas does not have to be scary. Using this study guide and taking the permit practice test will help to ease the process.
The best place to look for information about the Texas permit test is the Texas Driver’s Handbook. All of the questions on the knowledge test come directly from the Handbook. It is a good idea to read it carefully multiple times.
The Knowledge Test can cover information from the entire handbook. However, certain sections are more heavily emphasized on the test. You might want to devote special attention to studying the following chapters:
- Chapter 3 - Safety Responsibility
- Chapter 5 – Signals Signs and Markers
- Chapter 8 – Speed and Speed Limits
- Chapter 10 – How Alcohol and Drugs Affect the Ability to Drive
However be aware that questions on the permit test may come from any part of the Driver’s Handbook.
The written test is quite similar to the one that you will take to get your driver’s license, but also includes questions about permit restrictions and requirements for new drivers. For example, you should pay special attention the section Sanctions for Non-Driving Alcohol-Related Offenses by Minors in Chapter 1 since it relates directly to teen drivers.
Other topics commonly covered on the test to pay special attention to while studying include:
- road signs – The test relies heavily on identifying road signs and markers.
- stopping distance – Know the distance required to stop at various speeds.
- fines – Pay attention to the fine amount for various driving infractions
- suspension of license – Understand what can cause a driver to lose their license and the procedure for reinstatement.
- accident protocol – Familiarize yourself with what you should do if involved in an accident.
- liability requirements – Know the insurance and financial liability requirements in the state.
Once you have thoroughly read the Texas Drivers Handbook, you can test your knowledge with the Texas online permit practice test. This will help you become familiar with both the content and structure of the actual permit test questions.