The MVD written permit test in New Mexico does not have to be intimidating. By using this study guide, and taking the permit practice test the process will be easy.
As with many other states, new drivers in New Mexico must follow a graduated licensing program if they are under the age of 18. The first step towards earning a driver's license is applying for and receiving an instructional permit. You must provide proof that you are currently enrolled in a driver's education course and that your parent or guardian grant their permission for you to apply for the permit. Finally, you must pass the knowledge test provided at Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) in your area.
How Can I Prepare for the Test?
The best way to prepare for the examination is by studying the New Mexico Driver Manual. This manual contains everything that you need to know in order to pass the test. Taking a practice test can also help you understand how the test is structured so that you can focus on the actual subject matter rather than the format.
How is the Test Formatted?
The test consists of 25 multiple choice questions that test your knowledge of traffic safety, road signs, driving strategies and regulations for driving in New Mexico. You will take the test on a computer screen at the MVD office. You must answer at least 18 out of 25 questions in order to pass. Applicants who do not pass the test on the first try, must wait at least one day to take it again.
Which Parts of the Manual are the Most Important?
While the entire manual contains valuable information, there are some portions that are more important to remember when you are taking the test. Key sections to study closely include the following:
- Start by learning the detail of the Graduated License System for which you are applying on pages 1 and 2.
- Perhaps the most important section to study is Rules of the Road on pages 3-14. This covers details of New Mexican driving laws that are crucial for all drivers to know. Spend extra time on the road signs and markings on pages 4-9, since this will be on the test.
- The section on Safe Driving Tips (pages 14-18) addresses basic driving strategies and best practices for driving.
- Also make sure that you understand the principles described in the section Sharing the Road on pages 23-27.
- Expect to see questions about drinking and driving, found on pages 28-30 in the section entitled Be in Shape to Drive.
By studying the New Mexico driver's handbook carefully, you can make sure that you pass the test quickly and easily.