New drivers must be prepared in order to pass the MVD permit test in Montana. Use this study guide, and take the permit practice test to help make the process easy.
Are you excited to start driving in Montana? You'll need an instructional permit in order to do so, and to get that permit, you will need to pass a written knowledge test. The written test you will take to earn your permit is the real key to getting on the road. Here's what you need to know.
How Do I Study for the Test?
The best way to prepare yourself for the knowledge test is by studying the Montana Driver License Manual. This handbook will tell you everything you need to know about traffic signs, road safety and basic driving principles that you will need to know for the test.
How is the Test Structured?
The test has 33 multiple choice questions, and you will need get at least 27 right in order to pass. The test will cover state driving laws and safe driving practices. Some questions will ask you to identify road signs. Applicants who do not pass the test on your first attempt, can take it again the next day. However, those who fail three times in a year, will have to apply for an instructional permit all over again.
What Should I Focus On As I Study?
While it is important to read the entire manual, there are some parts you should focus on as you study. This includes the following subjects:
- All new drivers need to understand the details of Montana’s Graduated Driver License program and the types of permits described on pages 5-7.
- Take time to study all the sign, signals and pavement markings in Section 4: Language of the Road starting on page 31. You will be expected to identify signs by their shape and color.
- Section 5: Rules of the Road (page 45) contains the rules for basic driving maneuvers such as turning, passing, parking and right-of-way.
- Section 6: Safe Driving Tips (page 54) discusses many crucial strategies for safe driving. Understanding these concepts will help you pass the written test, and be a better driver.
- Expect to see multiple questions concerning the laws and consequences of drinking and driving. This information can be found starting on page 74.
- Finally, Section 8: Emergencies (page 79) gives important information on how to handle a variety of situations that drivers may encounter, and may be found on the test.
At the end of each section of the Montana drivers manual is a handy mini-quiz that you can take to see if you have understood the important content. Test takers can also benefit from taking the Montana permit practice test. This will give you a feel for how the test questions are structured.
Upon passing the knowledge test, you will be given an instructional permit that is valid for one year. Study hard, and you'll pass it with no issues. Good luck!